The series dates from the middle of Hiroshige II's career, when he was in his mid-thirties (thirty-five to thirty-seve years old). At this point, he was using the name 'Hiroshige', since his master Hiroshige I had died (in 1858), and Hiroshige II had taken over the gō 'Hiroshige'; the prints in this series are signed 'Hiroshige'.
The series title is in the vertical rectangular cartouche in the top right corner; the title of each individual print is on the right-hand edge of the horizontal rectangular cartouche.
This page currently contains 68 prints. Of these, 52 seem to be listed in Strange. (Due to his use of older transliteration systems, along with a few reading errors - an understandable problem in dealing with Japanese names, where characters can have so many different readings, especially when used in names - positive identification of every print he lists is problematic.) That leaves 16 prints shown here which seem to not be listed in Strange.
Subtracting the 52 prints shown here which are listed in Strange, from the list of 57 given there, 5 from that list seem to be missing. The missing prints, as listed in Strange, in alphabetical order as he gave them, are:
Also, better images of the following prints:
Please see the contact page for information on how to pass such information along. Thanks!
In the table of the prints (below), due to the existence of alternative characters, or the post-WWII simplification of written Japanese, the kanji now often used in Japan for some of the places illustrated are sometimes different from the characters given in the title cartouche; if so, the other form is given in brackets.
To see a larger, roughly full-screen, image of any print, if there is one available, please click on the thumbnail; these images are sized to produce reasonable detail (if we have an original that big), and are fairly compressed.
If we have a higher-quality image, that image can be viewed by clicking on the "Large Image" link, which gives the size of the image (for the benefit of those on slow links). Sometimes there is more than one, if our best-quality image has issues (e.g. trimmed margins).
|Images||Large Image||Date||Title (Kanji)||Title (Rōmaji)||Title (English)||Description|
|1861-64||傅通院||Denzu-in||Denzu Temple||Denzu Temple was built by the
Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1603, as the final resting place for his mother, Odai.
It became something of a family graveyard for the
family, and other family members are also buried here.
Sometimes the name of this temple is written with the characters 傳通院, but this is not accurate. The temple's own web site uses the other form.
|1861-64||五百 羅漢寺||Gohyaku rakan-ji||Temple of the 500 Arhats|
|1861-64||八景坂 夕景||Hakkei-zaka yūkei||Evening (View) at Eight Views Slope|
|1861-64||中野 宝仙寺||Nakano Hōsen-ji||Hōsen Temple at Nakano|
|1861-64||日暮里 古名新掘||Nippori ko-mei shin-kutsu (?)||Nippori||The exact meaning of the second part of the title is somewhat obscure, but it appears to relate to a change in a name (shin - 'new'; ko - 'old').|
|Ōji Inari||Inari Temple at Ōji||The Ōji Inari shrine, one of the oldest in its area (to the north of Tokyo, on high ground overlooking the Ara River), is one of a series dedicated to Inari, the god of rice harvest; the Oji Inari shrine is the head Inari shrine of the eight provinces of the Kantō.|
|1861-64||大川 ?? ??正 公||Ōkawa tan Seishō kō||??|
|Sakura-da||Sakura-da||Sakura-da (literally, 'flowering cherry rice paddy') was the district where many daimyō had their residences. It was next to Edo castle, residence of the then-Shogun; we see the castle's moat in this image.|
|1861-64||不忍 弁天||Shinobazu Benten||Benten Shrine in Shinobazu|
|1861-64||築地 門跡||Tsukiji Monzeki||Tsukiji Monzeki Temple|
|1861-64||梅屋敷||Umeyashiki||Umeyashiki||The Plum Blossom Teahouse in Kameido.|
|1861-64||牛 天神||Ushi Tenjin||Ushi Tenjin Shrine||This shrine is formally known as the Kitano Shrine.
The name Ushi Tenjin is actually a nickname; at the start of the Kamakura Era, the famous warrior Minamoto no Yoritomo, the founding Shōgun of the Kamakura Shogunate, stopped here on his way to North. He had a dream in which Sugawara no Michizane, known as Tenjin, appeared riding on a bull (ushi), and told him that his dream would come true.
|1861-64||柳島 妙見||Yanagishima Myōken||Myōken Hall at Yanagishima Bridge||The Myōken Hall was in the north-eastern quarter of the Honjo district, close to where the Yanagishima Bridge crossed the Yokojukken-gawa Canal, where the latter met with the Kitajukken-gawa Canal. The Hall was part of the Honsho Temple complex, and was named for the image of the Bodhisattva Myōken housed in it. Many Edo residents subscribed to a sect which venerated the Bodhisattva Myōken.|
|1861-64||鎧 の 渡||Yoroi no wata(shi)||Yoroi Ferry||This print is almost a duplicate of the image of these location in his earlier series, ' Thirty-six Views of the Eastern Capital'.|
|1861/10||神田明神||Kanda Myōjin||Kanda Myōjin Shrine|
|1861/10||御茶の水||Ocha-no-mizu||Tea Water Canal|
|Kasumiga-seki||Kasumiga Barrier-gate||Literally 'Mist barrier/gate', Kasumiga-seki is a district of Tōkyō; most of Japan's cabinet ministry offices are now located there.|
|1862/3||堀之内妙法寺||Horinouchi Myōhō-ji||Myōhō Temple at Horinouchi|
|1862/3||亀井戸天神||Kameido Tenjin||Kameido Tenjin Shrine|
|1862/3||御行の松||Miyuki no matsu||The Pine Tree of the Imperial Procession|
|1862/3||西新井||Nishi Arai||West Arai|
|1862/3||新 肴 場||Shin-Sakanaba||New Sakanaba||The New Sakanaba was a riverfront area located in the Honzaimoku-chō (本材木町) district; the area held a group of fish wholesalers.|
|1862/8||牛御前||Ushi no Gozen||Ushi no Gozen Shrine|
|1862/9||赤坂氷川||Akasaka Hikawa||Hikawa Shrine at Akasaka|
|1862/9||行人坂||Gyōnin-zaka||Slope of the Devotees||The Daien Temple stands halfway down a slope west of Meguro; the slope is named Gyōnin-zaka, or 'Slope of the Devotees', for the followers of the ascetic sect associated with the temple.|
|1862/9||羽田弁天||Haneda Benten||Benten Shrine at Haneda|
|1862/9||白髯 明神||Shirahige Myōjin||Shirahige Myōjin Shrine|
|1862/9||高田馬場||Takada-no-baba||Takada Riding Grounds|
|1862/9||滝乃川||Takinogawa||Takinogawa||The name (literally, "Waterfall River") refers not to the river shown here (which is actually the Shakujii River), but to the area South of the river, including the village of the same name. The name is old, and may or may not refer to the waterfalls found along the river here.|
|1863/?||百花園||Hyakkaen||Hundred Flower Garden|
|1863?/?||川崎 平源寺||Kawasaki Heiken-ji||Heiken Temple in Kawasaki||This temple is now usually known as Kawasaki Daishi.|
|Renge-ji||Lotus Flower Temple||It is not certain which Renge-ji is referred to here (there are temples of this name in Kyōto, Shiga, etc), as no location is given; it is possibly the one in Kamakura.|
|1863/6||深川 八幡||Fukagawa Hachiman||Fukagawa Hachiman Shrine|
|1863/8||浅草寺花邸||Sensō-ji hanayashiki||Flower Garden at Sensō Temple|
|1863?/10||関屋の里||Sekiya no sato||Sekiya Village|
Back to Hiroshige II home page
© Copyright 2009-2010 by J. Noel Chiappa and Peter L. Chiappa
Last updated: 30/November/2010